Change of Status from B1/B2 to F1 in the United States

If you’re currently holding a B1/B2 visitor visa and have aspirations of studying in the United States, you have the option to change your status to F1 student status. This allows you to legally stay in the United States while pursuing your educational goals.

Before beginning the change of status process, there are a few key points to keep in mind. First and foremost, you must be in the United States under lawful B1/B2 status when applying for the change. Additionally, meeting the requirements for F1 student status is essential, which includes being accepted into a U.S. school approved by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

To initiate the change of status, you’ll need to complete Form I-539, known as the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status. Alongside the form, you’ll be required to provide supporting documents such as your I-20 form, financial documentation, and evidence of ties to your home country.

While the processing time for a change of status application can vary, it typically takes a few months. Once your application is approved, you’ll have the opportunity to continue residing and studying in the United States as an F1 student.

Here are some benefits of changing your status from B1/B2 to F1:

  • Legal Stay: You can stay in the United States legally throughout your educational journey.
  • On-Campus Work: You can engage in on-campus employment opportunities while pursuing your studies.

If you’re considering a change of status from B1/B2 to F1, it’s advisable to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. An attorney will help ensure that you meet all the requirements for a successful change of status and facilitate a smooth application process.

For additional resources, you may find the following link helpful: USCIS website on changing status: USCIS Changing to a Nonimmigrant F or M Student Status

I hope this blog post has been informative. Should you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.